It’s been well over a month since I have put any time into Virginia, but as we get into February I realized I need to kick this project into high gear! I spent the past few days planning out how I am going to do the deck and interior, and while I wait for some materials to start that part I figured why not get started on the topsides.
The original plan was to veneer the topsides, but that was pre-Naida. Now the plan is to paint her topsides so she matches Naida, as Virginia will end up being her tender.
Virginia overall is pretty solid, but she did have an odd combination of some dry rot, and a golf ball sized hole on her starboard side just before the transom.
Back in November I glassed the corners, inside and out, and haven’t touched it since. First step before sealing, priming, and painting the topsides was to bust out the marine filler (aka Boat Bondo) and fill, then fair over this glass repair.
A heat lamp helped speed up this process as it was fairly cold in the shop today which slows drying times.
In the mean time I started sealing the port side, I used Interlux’s Clear Wood Sealer, the primer I am using is Interlux’s Pre-kote which really exposes any imperfections in the hull, it will have to be sanded and filled in a few spots before the next coat.
It felt good to make some solid visual progress on Virignia, espcially since I know once Naida arrives in Chicago she will be consuming most of my attention and time for a few weeks.
Stay tuned for more updates on both boats coming soon!